A glass Chevy Taillight Lens for either 1949 or 1950 Chevy. The lens is a reproduction of the original 1950 GM lens, red in color. This glass taillight lens is made today as a duplicate of the 1950 Chevy lens. But it is marketed as a 1949-1950 lens by many suppliers and manufacturers because the 1949 Chevy TL lens is not being made today. The main reason the 1949 lens is not being made today “in my opinion” is because the 1950 is much more popular so sales of the 1949 lens are much lower.
Glass lenses have several things that make them better than a plastic lens
1. They will normally look brighter when the brakes are applied.
2. If you convert your electric system to 12 volt and use a “bright” bulb, the plastic can melt.
3. After time the plastic will tarnish and become dull, glass stays shiny longer
You will find a plastic version of this lens listed elsewhere on this page but they were never offered from GM. These plastic lenses were a replacement lens sold in auto parts stores similar to NAPA. Both lenses fit well and are easy to replace.
Some of the reasons people used them in the 50’s were
1. price, cheaper than buying from a Chevy dealer.
2. availability, auto parts stores were on every corner.
3. less breakable, is you dropped one they normally would not break. Glass will.
One important point to understand is that both the 1951 Chevy and the 1952 Chevy used the same complete taillight assembly. No difference at all.